Summary: 13 December 2010, Brussels - Council of the European Union PRESS RELEASE: 3058th Council meeting on Foreign Affairs
President : Catherine ASHTON, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy
Main results of the Council
The Council discussed the Middle East Peace Process. It adopted conclusions reiterating its readiness, when appropriate, to recognise a Palestinian state and affirming its readiness to contribute to a negotiated solution on all final status issues within the 12 months set by the Quartet. It also recalled its readiness to assist in the reconstruction and economic recovery of Gaza.
The Council had an exchange of views on Ivory Coast following the presidential election. It adopted conclusions stating its intention to adopt restrictive measures against those who are obstructing the process of peace and national reconciliation, and in particular who are jeopardising the proper outcome of the electoral process.
The Council discussed Sudan ahead of the referendum on self-determination on 9 January on the basis of a briefing by EU Special Representative Rosalind Marsden. It adopted conclusions reiterating its commitment to assisting Sudan before and after the referendum in order to promote lasting peace, stability and prosperity for all Sudanese people.
During the working dinner, the High Representative briefed ministers on the meeting in Geneva with the Iranian nuclear negotiator.
CONTENTS: ITEMS DEBATED
Sudan - Conclusions
Ivory Coast - Conclusions
Middle East Peace Process - Conclusions
Strategic partners and priorities for 2011
OTHER ITEMS 18
Republic of Moldova
OTHER ITEMS APPROVED
- Zone free of mass destruction weapons
- Weapons of mass destruction - Progress report - Conclusions
- Combating illicit accumulation and trafficking of small arms
- Arms exports control system - Annual report
- Democracy support in the EU's external relations - 2010 progress report - Conclusions
- Financial instrument for promotion of democracy and human rights worldwide
COMMON SECURITY AND DEFENCE POLICY
- Mainstreaming human rights and gender issues into CSDP operations and missions
- EU civilian and military capability development beyond 2010
- Civilian Headline Goal 2010
- Deployment of civilian personnel to CSDP missions
Download the complete EU Foreign Affairs Council Conclusions (pdf)