Sumario: 10 November 2008, Brussels - Press Release of the Council of the European Union 2902nd meeting of the General Affairs and External Relations Council, Conclusions on General Affairs
Main results of the Council
The Council renewed the embargo on EU arms against Uzbekistan, while deciding not to renew the travel restrictions applying to certain members of the Uzbek regime. This follows on from the conclusions of its meeting on 13 October 2008, in which it welcomed the progress achieved by Uzbekistan with regard to respect for the rule of law and in the protection of human rights, while remaining concerned by the situation in certain areas.
The Council also decided not to apply, for a renewable six-month period, the travel restrictions on certain leading figures in Belarus, following the conclusions of its meeting on 13 October 2008. The aim of the decision, following the recent elections in Belarus, is to encourage dialogue with the Belarusian authorities and the adoption of measures to strengthen democracy and respect for human rights.
The Council approved the granting of more than EUR 215 million to Somalia from the European Development Fund, to support institution-building and economic and social development there, taking account of the needs of the poorest sections of the population.
The Council deplored the lack of progress towards a transition to democracy in Burma/Myanmar. The 2010 elections will have no credibility unless the authorities unconditionally release all political prisoners and initiate a political process with the full participation of the opposition and ethnic groups.
The Council also welcomed the return to normal functioning of the Lebanese institutions and encouraged all the parties to engage in dialogue in a spirit of compromise and consensus, in the interests of all the Lebanese people. It welcomed the announcement of the establishment of diplomatic relations between Lebanon and Syria.
CONTENTS: ITEMS DEBATED
PREPARATION OF THE DECEMBER EUROPEAN COUNCIL
OTHER ITEMS APPROVED
- Uzbekistan - Restrictive measures
- Belarus - Restrictive measures
- Iran - Restrictive measures
- Aid for Somalia
- Burma/Myanmar - Council conclusions
- Lebanon - Council conclusions
- Trilateral relations with Africa and China - Council conclusions
- EU-Africa Partnership - Council conclusions
- Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention
EUROPEAN SECURITY AND DEFENCE POLICY
- Somalia - piracy
- Middle East - Rafah border assistance mission
- Development of the military capabilities of the EU
- European Defence Agency
- Civilian ESDP missions - Lessons learned
- Ukraine - Trade in services - Accession to the WTO
- Contributions for the European Development Fund in 2009 and 2010
- Health care in developing countries - Council conclusions
- Local authorities as actors for development - Council conclusions
- Work in the Council's other configurations
EUROPEAN ECONOMIC AREA
- European Economic Area Council
- Atlantic tuna
- Black Sea - Fishing opportunities and conditions for 2009*
- Inland waterway vessels - Regulatory procedure with scrutiny
- Public access to documents
For details, download the complete General Affairs Council Conclusions.